At VOS, summer camps are all about celebrating everything musical theatre!
Our camps are designed to build a students skills and confidence, both on stage and off. Students can choose from a variety of introductory and advanced camps to suit their skill and interest level. And becuase we love making our camps as awesome as our campers, we often have multiple instructors, who are working professionals in the performing arts, teaching a variety of skills within a camp. This means campers learn many different skills and get to know several instructors at once, many of which started out just like the campers!
Camps & Classes COVID-19 Safety Plan
We are excited to see you for our 2020 camp season! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, things will look very different this year. Below are our guidelines to keep all of our students, instructors, and staff safe.
Before you come:
• Parents and caregivers must assess their child daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before sending them to camp
• Instructors and staff must assess themselves daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before entering the building
• If your child is ill, they will not be able to come into the building
• There will be routine symptom check ins with students and instructors
• Students or those at a higher risk of severe illness should not take part in camps this year
• In the event a student is feeling unwell, they will be separated from the rest of the students and a parent or guardian will be called to have them picked up. Cleaning will happen immediately. Staff will maintain distance from the student and wear a mask
• Cough or sneeze into your elbow sleeve or a tissue. Throw away used tissues and immediately perform hand hygiene.
• Refrain from touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Refrain from sharing any food, drinks, any unwashed utensils, cups, mugs, or water bottles
• There will be a maximum of 12 students per camp
• There will be no physical contact during these camps including but not limited to, high fives, shaking hands, hugs, and all choreography and blocking will be in accordance with the physical distancing guidelines set out by the province
• There will be a separate entrance and a separate exit
• The hall will be extensively cleaned prior to the start of each program
• There will be nightly cleaning of the hall including floors, chairs, tables, washrooms, kitchen, as well as all high touch surfaces
• All high touch surfaces will be disinfected many times over the course of the day
• Students, instructors and staff will be required to wash their hands after every activity including but not limited to after entering the hall, after each workshop or activity, at breaks and lunch, after washroom breaks, and before going home
• Hand sanitizer will also be available
• Staff will help younger students with hand washing if needed and will wear a mask while doing so
• All doors will remain open to create sufficient air flow in and out of the hall
• Garbage will be taken out daily
Entering the Rehearsal Hall:
• Students will be entering and exiting the rehearsal hall one at a time
• Only students will be permitted in the hall. For our younger students, on the first day 1 parent or guardian will be allowed to help get settle. Please let us know if you would like to come in and we will arrange to get you in a bit earlier
• There will be markers outside to line up to get into the building
Inside the Rehearsal Hall:
• All students, instructors, and staff will be at a distance of at least 6 feet at all times. All material will reflect these new distancing rules
• There will be marks on the floor for distancing in all areas of the building
• All students will be given a spot in the hall just for them to sit and keep their belongings
• Access to the washrooms and kitchen will be staggered
• Instructors and staff will be using a separate washroom
• No costumes and very few set pieces and prop will be used this year. Any props or set will be used by only one student, no one else will touch these items, and they will be cleaned daily
• Masks are not required, however if you feel more comfortable having your child wear a mask we will accommodate. Please feel free to send one with your child
• Only Instructors, students, and three staff member will be in the hall during all camps. No non-essential personnel will be on site. During the showcases there will up to two additional support staff to help with the performance. They will be complying with our physical distancing rules.
• All showcases at the end of the camps will be livestreamed or recorded and also re-broadcast later that day. There will be no live audience for these performances.
• All performances will be earlier in the day so parents can watch at home and there will still be time to pick up their children.
Leaving the hall:
• Parents will wait outside the building for pick up at the back of the building and students will exit the building one by one.
• If something is forgotten, the student will be permitted back in using the entry door and will be allowed out through the designated exit
• In the event of an emergency and you need to contact your child and they do have or are not answering their cell phone, please contact the main office 250-310-1021.
All camps are subject to change. If there is a resurgence of the virus on the island and or it is recommended by the Provincial Health Office we will move all camps online.
We recognize this all sounds daunting, but we are working hard to create a fun and creative program that will keep you connected with your theatre friends new and old. Any questions please email email@example.com
Class and Camp Director
July 6 – July 17 2020 9am-4pm (July 11 9am-12pm, July 17 9am-4pm)
This camp is for teens who love all things musical theatre! They will be able to choose from a variety of workshops and specialize in one discipline or try them all. Last year’s workshops included: tap, hip hop, toval technique, acting a monologue, scene study, acting a song, auditioning, vocal and choreography ensemble work, and make-up application. This camp concludes with a performance the evening of the last day of camp.
August 17-21, 9am-12pm; Ages 7-9
This is musical theatre fundamentals for kids! Have fun with theatre games, acting, singing and dancing. Each kids camp concludes with a performance for friends and family at the hall on the last day.
*Please Note: This camp is full for 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist. Thank you.
Musical Theatre Intensive
Augst 10 – 14 2020, 9am-4pm
A fun and fast paced camp for teens who eat, sleep and breath musical theatre! The camp includes workshops on auditioning, choreography, working in a vocal ensemble, work on smaller group numbers, scene study, and character study. This action-packed week ends with a showcase performance for family and friends.
2020 Registration Form